The MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) has announced that Split tolling will begin at the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge on December 1, 2020.
Split tolling does not change the effective round-trip toll!
Only the location of toll collection is changing:
- The toll will no longer be doubled in the westbound direction.
- The toll will be collected in each direction.
The current Staten Island-bound toll is currently $12.24 with E-ZPass and $19 for everyone else.
Beginning Dec. 1:
- Non-Staten Island residents who use E-ZPass will pay $6.12 in both the Staten Island and Brooklyn directions
- Staten Island residents will be charged just $2.75 to cross the bridge in either direction.
- All other drivers will pay $9.50 in each direction.
There were many drivers who used a toll-free route through Manhattan, clogging up the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and Manhattan’s Canal Street. Now it will cost money traveling both ways, so the hope is this will reduce traffic through Staten Island.