In a move sure to shake up the pharmaceutical industry, Amazon has opened an online pharmacy at: https://pharmacy.amazon.com/.
About two years ago, Amazon purchased PillPack, a company that packages all the pills you need to take. Now Amazon is aiming at the general public – Amazon wants you to get your prescription medications from them, with 2-day free delivery for Prime members.
The timing is right, as the coronavirus causes more people to stay at home. Amazon’s buying power and vast distribution network will allow it to undercut traditional pharmacies.
- This is not for controlled substances like pain relievers or anti-anxiety medications.
- You will be asked to share information like your date of birth and the last digits of your social security number. Amazon knows so much about your buying habits so there might be some who feel queasy about Amazon also knowing every medication they take.
- You can set a separate PIN for the pharmacy so your family who logs in to use your Prime account cannot get access to your pharmacy account.
- You can compare prices with your insurance co-pay, without insurance, or with the savings available through the Prime prescription savings plan to choose the lowest option. Sometimes generic drugs are available for purchase for less than your prescription co-pay.
- Amazon is staffing a pharmacy service accessible 24 hours a day where you can get answers to questions about your medications. (Let’s see how this compares to the hold times at your local pharmacy).
“We designed Amazon Pharmacy to put customers first – bringing Amazon’s customer obsession to an industry that can be inconvenient and confusing,” said TJ Parker, Vice President, Amazon Pharmacy. “We work hard behind the scenes to handle complications seamlessly so anyone who needs a prescription can understand their options, place their order for the lowest available price, and have their medication delivered quickly.”
“As more and more people look to complete everyday errands from home, pharmacy is an important and needed addition to the Amazon online store,” commented Doug Herrington, Senior Vice President of North American Consumer at Amazon. “PillPack has provided exceptional pharmacy service for individuals with chronic health conditions for over six years. Now, we’re expanding our pharmacy offering to Amazon.com, which will help more customers save time, save money, simplify their lives, and feel healthier.”
“We understand the importance of access to affordable medication, and we believe Prime members will find tremendous value with the new Amazon Prime prescription savings benefit,” said Jamil Ghani, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “Our goal is for Prime to make members’ lives easier and more convenient every day, and we’re excited to extend the incredible savings, seamless shopping experience, and fast, free delivery members know and love with Prime to Amazon Pharmacy.”